V I L L E D E S A I N T - M A U R - D E S - F O S S E S
2 0 1 3
R E G U L A T I O N S
The sixth Engraving Biennale is organized by the local authority of Saint-Maur-des-Fossés and takes place from October 5 to December 1, 2013 at the Musée de Saint-Maur, Villa Médicis.
Its aim is to encourage contemporary engraving.
- Location and Dates
Article I • The Engraving Biennale organized by the local authority of Saint-Maur-des- Fossés takes place from October 5 to December 1, 2013 at the Musée de Saint-Maur, Villa Médicis.
• Postal address
Musée de Saint-Maur - Villa Médicis
5, Rue Saint-Hilaire . 94210 La Varenne Saint-Hilaire, France
Tél. 33 (0)1 48 86 33 28 - Fax 33 (0)1 48 83 49 12
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Web site : www.saint-maur.com/musee
A - Techniques and Theme
Article II • participants should submit original engravings (black and white or colour engravings) : copper-print engraving (line-engraving, dry-point, mezzotint, etching, aquatint, soft ground, ...), black line method (xylography, on linoleum, ...), lithography, serigraphy, carborundum and all traditional techniques of engraving, except any computerized work.
Article III • Each work of art submitted shall illustrate the theme : "Double".
Article IV • Each work of art submitted must have been created within the last two years (no earlier than January 2011).
B - Participation
Article V • This Engraving Biennale is an international event, open to all engravers.
Article VI • There are no participation fees. However, the return of the works is under the artist’s responsibility (specialised courier company or return fees included in packaging).
Article VII • It is mandatory that each participant send or bring 5 pieces of work to the Museum. These pieces of work shall be in compliance with the requirements specified in the articles II, III, IV, VIII and XI.
• Pieces of work that are not in compliance with the regulations set forth in article II to article XXVIII of this document will not be accepted.
Article VIII • Copies and reproductions are not accepted.
Article IX • Entries are judged and selected by a jury (cf. articles XV to XVIII).
Article X • The jury reserves the right to accept all, some or none of the pieces of work.
• All pieces of work selected will be exhibited on the dates mentioned in article I.
C - Presentation of the Works
Article XI • Works shall be submitted in a portfolio in good condition and in the appropriate format.
• The following elements shall be featured at the back of each work, written with a pencil and in block letters : the artist’s name, the first name, the pseudonym, the title, the detailed technique, the execution date and the price of the work in EUROS.
• A label tagged on the portfolio shall display the following details :
Last name, first name, pseudonym, professional activity, date of birth, nationality, Telephone number and mobile number, artist’s email, address, titles, techniques, execution dates, prices in Euros of all works, size of the sheet and the 5 pieces of work.
• Maximum size of the sheet : 56 x 76 cm exactly (with an allowance of 2 additional cm maximum) . (1 work = 1 sheet)
D – Shipping or Delivery of Works
Article XII 1. Delivery of works
• Delivered works absolutely have to be received by the Musée de Saint- Maur, (address and directions stated in article I) between Monday June 3 and Saturday June 8, 2013 from 11 am to 7 pm. No pieces of work will be accepted outside these time frames.
• A deposit slip will be hand delivered or sent to the artist. This receipt will list the pieces of work, their state of conservation and any problem that would prevent their presentation to the jury. The Musée de Saint-Maur will ask for this receipt at the time of the giving back of the works.
2. Shipping of works
• Shipped works can be received by the Musée de Saint-Maur until 1 month before Monday June 3, 2013, but shall not be accepted if received after Saturday June 8, 2013.
• Shipped works shall be protected with appropriate sturdy packaging which can be used as packaging for return of the work to its owner. This packaging must be labelled with the same identification required for the portfolio (See article XI), together with the list of the works included and their specific techniques.
- Any packaging without return fees shall not be accepted. Cheques are not accepted.
- The Musée de Saint-Maur does not take charge of return fees. It is under the artist’s responsibility to enclose the amount of the return fees to the pieces of work. Don’t forget duties. Using a specialized courier company (such as UPS, FEDEX…) is strongly recommended.
- In case of using a specialized courier company, the artist has to deal directly with it concerning the return of the works, as well as concerning the customs clearance charges.
No donation will be accepted in exchange of the return fees.
• Pieces of work damaged during transit shall not be accepted.
• A deposit slip will be sent to the artist upon reception of the works. This eceipt will list the pieces of work, their state of conservation and any problem that would prevent their presentation to the jury.
E - Communication
Article XIII • When delivering or shipping out the works, the artist will absolutely have to supply biographical details or any other piece of information that may be required to prepare the press release and the catalogue. The artist will include a very short text explaining the interpretation of the theme (5 to 10 lines). In case of selection, this text may be used for the writing of the catalogue.
• The artists have to fill in and to sign the authorization (attached form) regarding the editing of the catalogue, the promotion and the advertisement of the Engraving Biennale.
By signing this attached form, artists authorize organizers of the event to take pictures or digital images of works selected.
F - Insurance and Security
Article XIV • Each participant is responsible for taking out an appropriate insurance policy to cover their works in case of loss, deterioration, theft, or any other event that may occur during transport or dispatch.
• The local authority of Saint-Maur-des-Fossés undertakes the responsibility of insuring the works of art for the period of the Engraving Biennale, from the date of the reception of the works and until they are re-dispatched or reclaimed.
- The works of artists that are not selected are insured up to July 12, 2013.
- The works of artists that are selected, will be insured up until December 31, 2013.
• The local authority of Saint-Maur-des-Fossés declines all responsibility outside the period specified above, particularly during transit.
• Security is maintained by the Museum staff during the hours the exhibition is open to the public.
G – Jury
Article XV • The jury is composed of personalities from the art world who are in charge of selecting the works. The jury also comprises members from the members of the town council and from the town’s cultural departments.
• Members of the jury and the staff attached to the Biennale cannot take part in the contest.
Article XVI • A selection committee will be set up to choose the works that show sufficient quality and that reflect innovative initiative in the field of traditional engraving.
Article XVII • The members of the jury reserve the right not to distribute all prizes.
Article XVIII • The jury’s assessments remain confidential, jury members being under an obligation to maintain such confidentiality. No justification will be given by the jury or by the staff. The jury’s decisions are final.
Article XIX • Participants can obtain the results of the selection starting from Tuesday June 25, 2013, by calling the following number : 33 (0)1 48 86 33 28 or on the Musée de Saint-Maur web site.
H – Prizes
Article XX • The Special Prize of the Mayor of Saint-Maur-des-Fossés is a sum of €4 000 and will be granted to the work judged to be the best. It will only be granted once to the same artist.
• Moreover, the prize-winning artist will enjoy a personal exhibition in Saint-Maur, in the year following the Biennale.
Article XXI • Jean COUY’s prize in the amount of €3 000 will be presented to the work of an artist younger than 40 years old (on June 8, 2013 included). This prize will be awarded by half by the association “Les Amis de Jean COUY” and the local authority of Saint-Maur-des-Fossés.
Article XXII • Three other prizes will be awarded as follows :
first prize : €2 300
second prize : €1 900
third prize : €1 600
Article XXIII • The prizes are awarded during the preview day, on Friday October 4 or Saturday October 5 , 2013.
Article XXIV • Awarded works shall be donated to the Musée de Saint-Maur.
I - Exhibition of Works
Article XXV • The Museum Curator of the Musée de Saint-Maur-des-Fossés and his staff frame the works and make the final determination as to their location.
J - Sale of Works
Article XXVI • The Museum staff is responsible for informing the public (upon acceptance of the artist) of the name and address of the artists but is not, under any circumstances authorized to conclude a sale.
• Works that are sold during the exhibition cannot be removed before the end of the exhibition.
• The local authority of Saint-Maur-des-Fossés reserve the right to conclude a priority purchase of works in exhibition.
K – Check-out of the Works
Article XXVII • No work can be returned on the Preview day.
• Works will be collected at the Museum, upon presentation of the signed deposit ticket :
- for artists not selected : from Tuesday June 25 to Saturday June 29, 2013 from 9 am to 7 pm.
- for artists selected : from Tuesday December 3 to Saturday December 7, 2013 from 9 am to 6 pm.
• If works are to be claimed by a third party, an authorization signed by the artist is required together with the deposit slip.
L - General Clause
Article XXXIX • Submitting works of art, implies the artist’s acceptance of all conditions stipulated in the present regulations.
FICHA DE INSCRIÇÃO NO SITE
E-mail : email@example.com